The main goal of the PhD program in Computer Science is to prepare highly qualified researchers to conduct research, work and teach in fundamental and applied topics of the discipline, to design and develop complex systems, innovative applications with ICT in different application domains. To achieve this goal, the students will learn scientific contents and methods, design capabilities and practical skills.
The learning path includes a series of specialized courses that deal with advanced topics to illustrate the frontiers of the research and development in the different field of Computer Science, stimulate the discussion around open problems and actively involve the students in research projects.
About 10 students per year are admitted to the PhD program, with scholarships from the University, private companies or research projects either national or international. Great attention is reserved to external private or public institutions, with particular interests for foreign ones since each student is requested to spend at least one semester abroad to complete the program.
The Doctorate program in Computer Science is hosted by the Department of Informatics, Systems and Communication http://www.disco.unimib.it and the main research areas reflect those of its faculty members and research laboratories. In particular, the main research areas are:
- Software Architecture and Analysis, Distributed Systems, Imaging and Artificial Vision, Robotics
- Artificial Intelligence, Date Science, Information Retrieval, Social Media Analysis, Machine Learning
- Complex Systems, Bioinformatics, Theoretical Computer Science, Formal Computational Models, Cyber-security
PhD program offering:
- Each student is supported by a tutor (I, II and III year) and a Supervisor (II and III year)
- Advanced courses on current research topics
- Advances courses to develop practical research skills, such as project management, patent and intellectual property, communication, organized by the PhD School in Science
- Lectio magistralis and advanced courses from the most relevant international researchers organized by the PhD School in Science
- English courses focused on written and oral scientific communication
- Italian courses for foreign students (ERASMUS program)
- Possibility to attend courses of the Laurea Magistrale in Computer Science to consolidate fundamental matters
- International relationships with the objective of internships in foreign countries
- Opportunities to be engaged in Research Centers and Labs of DISCo and external Research Institutions already involved in joint research activities
- Opportunities to participate in research and technology transfer projects in applied informatics at national and international level
- Funding to attend National and International PhD summer schools, conferences and workshops, and to organize scientific events
- Each student will be equipped with a personal laptop with free access to digital libraries (e.g., campus + IEEE, ACM, Springer, …), email services, and campus WiFi