Students needing a Study Visa
- Before leaving your home country: You should apply for pre-enrolment in the Universitaly portal attaching all the required documents. Moreover you must register on segreterie online for the entry test or the evaluation test eventually planned by the application procedures indicated for each degree course. Candidates for the School of Medicine and Surgery (program in English) must follow the same rules for elegibility, but registration procedure for IMAT (International Medical Admissions Test) must be checked on the IMAT official website (All information about the Medicine and Surgery program in English can be found at the specific degree course page)
- Once you arrive in Italy: You must take the Italian language test and apply within 8 days for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) for study reasons. Students who have a valid certificate indicating that their Italian level is not lower than B2 are exonerated from the language test. Students who apply for degree courses entirely taught in English are exempted from the Italian language test.
- When you have passed the Italian language test: take any necessary access tests for the single study courses (when applicable) and enrol according to the procedures indicated for each degree course.
Valid certificates for proficiency in the Italian language (for a level not lower than B2) are awarded by the Council of Europe at the III University of Rome, by the University for Foreigners of Perugia and Siena, the University for Foreigners "Dante Alighieri" of Reggio Calabria and by the "Dante Alighieri" schools, in agreement with the Italian Institutes of Culture abroad. CLIQ certificates (Certificazione lingua italiana di qualità) are also accepted.
Before starting, check the list of available places for the academic year 2020-2021 to see whether there are available places in the program of your interest. You can apply for pre-enrolment only to one program among those indicated.
- You must apply for pre-enrolment through the portal “Universitaly” attaching all the required documents. Without this step you won’t be able to schedule a visa appointment.
- The second step of application is the on line application on the database of the University of Milano-Bicocca segreterie online. Many programmes require to take an entry test or an evaluation test: deadlines are different, according to the programme you are interested in. Please check carefully the pages of your degree course to find information about the on line application, because it will not be possible to register for the access tests after the deadlines. Candidates for the School of Medicine and Surgery (program in English) must follow the same rules for eligibility, but registration procedure for IMAT (International Medical Admissions Test) must be checked on the IMAT official website.(All information about the Medicine and Surgery program can be found at the specific degree course page)
Once you arrive in Italy, you must:
- Apply for a "permit of stay - permesso di soggiorno" within eight days. Information about how to apply for permesso di soggiorno is available on the official website “Portale Immigrazione” ( you can select the language of information on the left section “istruzioni multilingue”);
- Take the Italian Language Test, If you are not exonerated. You are exonerated from the Italian language test if you are applying to a program completely in English or if you have a valid certificate attesting your knowledge of italian language. If you do not pass this test, you cannot enrol to university and you should leave the country before the visa’s expiration date. More information about the Italian language test will be available soon.
- Take the admission or evaluation test, if required, and then proceed to enrol following all the steps as indicated in the pages of your degree course (carefully check the deadlines!)
Check the modalities, arguments and details of the language test in the page of the study course you’re interesting at.
The documents listed in the annex are required for access to degree courses, master's degree and single-cycle master's degree.
For access to scholarship or other economic benefits, as well as for access to master, doctoral or other training courses, please refer to the specific calls for applications which may require different documentation.