Paolo Galli was born in Senago -Milan (Master degrees in Biology, 1993). PhD in Analysis and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems at University of Milan in 2000. Researcher in 2002 at the University of Milano-Bicocca, Associate Professor in 2014 at the University of Milano-Bicocca and Full Professor in 2018 at University of Milano-Bicocca. Founder of the track in Ecology for the Undergraduate Degree in Biological Science at the University of Milano-Bicocca; founder of the International Master in Marine Sciences for Sustainable Development at the University of Milano-Bicocca; cofounder of the Postgraduate Course in Marine Sciences at the University of Milano-Bicocca together with the Maldives National University. Founder (2009) of the MaRHE Center (Marine Research and High Education Center). From 2014 Director of the Marine Research and High Education Center located in Maldives (Magoodhoo Island Faafu Atoll). From 2016 until 2017 Vice Coordinator of the Postgraduate Degree in Marine Sciences. From 2016 until 2019 International Delegate for the Rector for Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Sri-Lanka, The Pacific Islands and the Maldives. From 2016 until 2019 Member of Sustainability Office at University of Milano-Bicocca. Delegate for the Rector in 2018 for EXPO2020 Dubai. From 2012 leader of Local Unit for the European Infrastructure Consortium “LIFE WATCH” providing e-Science research facilities to scientists seeking to increase our knowledge and deepen our understanding of Biodiversity organisation and Ecosystem functions and services in order to support civil society in addressing key planetary challenges
MAIN ACHIEVEMENTS, EDUCATIONAL STEPS
2001-2002 Post Doc, Department of Biology, University of Insubria
2000 PhD in Analysis and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems at the Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Milan
1993 Master Degree in Biology, Institute of Ecology, University of Milan
2018-Present: Full Professor, Ecology, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Milano-Bicocca
2014-2017: Associate professor, Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano-Bicocca
2002-2013: Researcher, Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano-Bicocca
List of th research Project from 2004 till present:
2017 Installation of a water desalination plant on the island of Magoodhoo - Faafu Atoll – Maldives An integrated approach. Ministry for Environment, Land and Sea Protection of Italy. (Leader).
2016 Sea soundscape in Fiji waters as tool for the local management of the marine and coastal zones - SySTeMiC (Sea Soundscape Tool Management Costal). The University of the South Pacific (USP). Fiji. (Participant).
2015: Reconstruction of Maldivian marine ecosystems through high-resolution 3D seismic surveys and environmental acoustics studies. Il Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche – Istituto Per l’Ambiente Marino Costiero (IAMC) (Leader).
2014: Development of an ICT platform on tropical species of the Maldivian archipelago. Il Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche – Dipartimento di Scienze del Sistema Terra e Tecnologie per l'Ambiente. (Leader).
2013: The key role of ecological approach in the development of inclusive travel. A case study on the Maldivian archipelago, Unione Italiana Ciechi (Leader);
2013: Estimating illicit drug use in Maldives by wastewater analysis, a novel approach to measure drug consumption in a whole community, President’s Office of Repubblic of Maldives (Leader);
2012: Benefits of using renewable energy for Maldivian communities and marine ecosystems, Caritas International Asia Area (Leader);
2011: Marine Sciences for Sustainable Development, Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (Leader);
2010: Biological adhesives: from biology to biomimetics, Europe EU Contract: TD0906 (Local Unit Leader);
2010: Eco-compatible models for managing fish stocks in the Maldivian archipelago destined for the Lombard market, Regione Lombardia (Leader);
2010: Support promotion and extension of cooperation in scientific research and education in the field of the conservation of the Egyptian Red Sea marine environment, biodiversity and natural resources and restoration, The Red Sea Conservation Society (HEPCA) (Leader);
2008: Biodiversity of Maldivian Coral Reef” AG7 Contract: GA110363 (Leader);
2008: BioInspired Adhesives for Surgery, Cariplo Foundation Contract: N. 2008-2366 (Coordinator).
2008: Biodiversity and Biodiversity patterns of Scleractinia (Cnidaria) in the Gulf of Aden, Yemen, Creocean Contract; (Leader)
2008: Training nature guides for the Maldives (university course) and environmental education in secondary school, Comune di Milano - Gabinetto del Sindaco (Leader);
2007: Strategies to be adopted to improve and protect the ecological status of wild fish. Arpa Lombardia (U.O. Risorse naturali e paesaggistiche) Contract (Leader);
2006: Modeling of primary phytoplankton production in the Mediterranean in relation to the distribution of cetaceans. Accobams Project (Local Unit Leader).
2004: Development of methodologies for the evaluation of the ecological status of semi-natural water parks subjected to high anthropic pressure, Provincia di Milano (Leader);
2002-Present: Ecology for Undergraduate Students in Biological Sciences
2017- Present: marine Ecology for Postgraduate Students in marine Sciences
2017 – Present: applied ecology for Undergraduate Students in Biological Sciences
2015- Present: Analysis and Management of Aquatic Biocoenoses for Undergraduate Students in Biological Sciences
Educational and Formative Responsibility
2014 – Present: Director of the Marine Research and High Education Center located in Maldives (Magoodhoo Island Faafu Atoll).
2016 – 2017: Vice Coordinator of the Postgraduate Degree in Marine Sciences.
2011-2014: Director of the Internazional Master in Marine Sciences for Sustainable Development
Here below a list of the main scientometric indicators update April 2020
- H (Hirsch) Index of 25
- More then 110 articles on ISI Journal (WoS)
- Ca 2800 citations (GS)
- i-10 Index: 72
Paolo Galli is an Ecologist. The background in Ecology has implications in the approach to problem solving, based on inter- and multidisciplinary, data analysis, experimental work, interactions with different research teams, valuation ad exploitation of abiotic and biotic variables.
Multidisciplinary studies linking different disciplines, such as Biology, Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Socio-Economy, Medicine, Technology.
Impact of global change on life on Earth and on marine ecosystems, functioning and health of Oceans, multidisciplinary studies on sea ecosystems.
The principal topics he dealt are: study of the tropical marine ecosystems; study of biogeographic pollution; study of the conservation of organisms in danger of extinction; study of climate change using proteomics techniques.
Ongoing long-term research collaborations with: Maldivian National University (Maldives); Universidade Federal do Parana (Brazil); Autonomous University of Campeche, Mexico; University of Dubai (UAE), KAUST University (South Arabia).
Within the frame of past and present researches additional direct collaborations include continuous links with: France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Greece, USA, Japan, Russia, UK, Scotland, Egypt.
List of Journals on which the research of Paolo Galli has been published
Cell Stress and Chaperones
Contributions to Zoology
Contributions to Zoology
Ecology of Freshwater Fish
Food Research International
International Journal for Parasitology
Journal Natural History
Journal of Applied Ichthyology
Journal of Fish Biology
Journal of Helminthology
Journal of Mammalogy
Journal of Parasitology
Journal of proteomics
Journal of Statistical Software
Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary Research
Marine Ecology Progress Series
Marine Environmental Research
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution
Organisms Diversity & Evolution
Proceeding Royal Society. B
Science of The Total Environment
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society
P. Galli, O.N. Pugachev, D. Kritsky (2010) Guide To Monogenoidea Of Freshwater Fish Of Palaearctic And Amur Regions. LEDIpublishing. 464pp.
Sharks of the Maldives. Alessandro de Maddalena. Scientific Editor: P. Galli. Magenes Edition. Pp. 110
EXPERIENCES OF INCENTIVATION OF TRANSFER OF KNOWLEDGE OF RESEARCH RESULTS
Inventor of International Patent: new methods to reduce impact of the predator Crown-of-Thorns Starfish (Acanthaster planci) on the reefs.
LIST OF 10 SELECTED PUBBLICATION
01) Strona G., Palomares L. D. M., Bailly N., Galli P. And Lafferty K. D. 2013 Host range, host ecology, and distribution of more than 11 800 fish parasite species. Ecology, 94: 544 [I.F. 4.849]
02) Strona G., Galli P. and Fattorini S. 2013 Fish parasites resolve the paradox of missing coextinctions
Nature communications 4, 1718. [I.F. 7.396]
03) Strona G., Fattorini S., Montano S., Seveso D., Galli P., San-Miguel-AyanzJ. 2015 .ECo: A new measure evaluating the degree of consistency between environmental factors and spatial arrangement of species assemblages. Ecological Indicators. 52: 66-74
04) Montano S., Maggioni D., Arrigoni R., Seveso D., Puce S., Galli P. 2015 The Hidden Diversity of Zanclea Associated with Scleractinians Revealed by Molecular Data. PloS one,10,7,e0133084.
05) Strona G., Fattorini S., Montano S., Seveso D., Galli P., San-Miguel-Ayanz J. 2015 ECo: A new measure evaluating the degree of consistency between environmental factors and spatial arrangement of species assemblages. Ecological Indicators 52, 66-74
06) Contestabile P., Di Lauro E., Galli P., Corselli C., Vicinanza D. 2017 Offshore Wind and Wave Energy assessment around Malè and Magoodhoo Island (Maldives). Sustainability.
07) Montano S., Fattorini S., Parravicini V., Berumen M. L, Galli P., Maggioni D., Arrigoni R., Seveso D., Strona G. 2017 Corals hosting symbiotic hydrozoans are less susceptible to predation and disease. Proceeding Royal Society. B,284 1869,20172405.
08) Seveso D., Montano S., Maggioni D., Pedretti D., Orlandi I., Galli P., Vai M. 2018 Diel modulation of Hsp70 and Hsp60 in corals living in a shallow reef. Coral Reefs 37: 801-806
09) Saliu F., Montano S., Leoni B., Lasagni M., Galli P. 2019 Microplastics as a threat to coral reef environments: Detection of phthalate esters in neuston and scleractinian corals from the Faafu Atoll, Maldives. Marine pollution bulletin 142: 234-241
10) Fallati L., Polidori A., Salvatore C., Saponari L., Savini A., Galli P. 2019. Anthropogenic Marine Debris assessment with Unmanned Aerial Vehicle imagery and deep learning: A case study along the beaches of the Republic of Maldives. Science of The Total Environment. 133581